As of late fall 2016, there are over 467 million users of LinkedIn—the premier professional-based social media network. Millions use the site every day, not just to search for new jobs or candidates, but to make connections and share content. You probably already have a profile and utilize some of the other features of the site, but have you ever considered publishing an article on the network?
It can be an amazing experience to publish in establishing your thought leadership in an area of marketing - and the process is easier than you may think. Discover the benefits of publishing and how to create content geared toward the LinkedIn audience. Finally, we’ll provide a step-by-step publication guide that will have your article up on the site in no time at all.
Benefits of Publishing on LinkedIn
Posting on LinkedIn allows you to build thought leadership. A well-written post on the site makes you look like a leader within your industry—someone that is worthy of listening and committing to. Thought leadership doesn’t happen overnight, but posting on a respected platform like LinkedIn is a great place to start.
Additionally, when you DO publish on LinkedIn, you'll gain new followers. Some of those followers may even come check out your website and other properties or blogs. You're spreading your knowledge in new places and creating links to your existing resources. Link building and increased brand awareness is always a good thing.
Not only will publishing demonstrate your thoughtful research and commentary on a topic dear to you, it'll also higlight and practice your writing skills. Marketers should always be refining their writing. Publishing on LinkedIn is the perfect way to get your writing out there and open yourself to feedback from peers.
Tips for Creating Content for the LinkedIn Audience
Your goal when creating content for LinkedIn should be to write for a professional audience. Ideally, you want to connect with those in the marketing industry. In doing this, you'll catch the attention of marketing professionals and who knows what kind of benefits this can have down the road.
Consider these (simple) tips for writing your first LinkedIn post.
- Clarify Your Purpose – Are you looking for followers, building your authority or boosting brand awareness? Write from the heart of your purpose.
- Connect – Don’t just ramble, think about your audience and how you can connect with them. What are their pain points? How can you help?
- End with a Call to Action – Get people to share or even better comment. Ask a question, solicit responses. You’ll be amazed the difference a call to action can make.
LinkedIn's simple interface will allow you to publish in no time!
A Step-by-Step to publishing on linkedin
Once you have a post that's ready to go, the only thing left is getting it published. Luckily, LinkedIn has made the process relatively painless.
1. From your homepage, click write an article.
2. Fill in the headline (title).
3. Paste your article in the main section. You can add images or video too to increase engagement.
4. Click “Publish.”
5. You’ll be asked to confirm your desire to publish, click yes.
6. Your article is published! You can then share on LinkedIn and offsite to other social media networks to boost readership.
7. Check the metrics - the can track how many people have viewed, liked and commented on your article.
Publishing an article on LinkedIn is a great way to stand out from all of the other users on the site and estbalish your expertise. If you have something important to say about marketing and think that you can influence the industry with your words why not give it a try? You may be surprised by the response!
Are you going to publish now? If you do - we want to know! Share the link with us at @DCITalent and we'll let you know what we think on your awesome marketing post. We love giving and recieving feedback!
Looking for a marketing job in San Antonio or Austin? Check out our listings at DCI and see how we can find you that perfect marketing position!