Webinar: “How to Ace the PPC Interview”
Date: May 31, 2017
The panelists shared their insights from the interviewer perspective of how candidates can best prepare for and perform in interviews specifically for PPC jobs. Check out the full recording or read the summary below!
Panelists Reese and Joel work at top PPC agency, KlientBoost. Joel often interviews new candidates and even interviewed Reese for his current position a few months ago. In this webinar the table turned and Reese interviewed Joel on his perspective of interviewing many PPC candidates to get his tips.
- The perfect interview is conversational and the interviewer doesn’t have to simply read off a list of questions to ask.
- The interviewer is assessing your soft skills heavily since at most agencies you will have to speak to clients.
- Confidence is important in the PPC industry.
- For those looking to break into the industry without much experience, an account coordinator role is a great starting point to learn without the pressure of being the client-facing account manager.
- Joel will sometimes pull open a real PPC account during the interview and ask the candidate to provide recommendations.
- It can be hard to learn the soft skills needed in an agency environment, but you can practice in everyday conversations with friends or coworkers.
- Ensure strong follow-up communication after the interview.
What Joel looks for in new PPC talent:
- Strong soft skills and the ability to communicate effectively to a client
- Technical skills and the discipline to learn more
- Passion for the paid search industry
Red flags during interviews:
- One or two word responses to questions
- When the candidate is quiet and there’s a lack of flow or conversation
- Exaggerating technical skills
Top Quotes from Joel Neustaedter:
- “Be yourself as much as you can. Be comfortable and confident without being cocky.”
- If you’re passionate and PPC is something you really want to do, it will show in the interview.”
Stay connected with the panelists:
- Connect with Joel Neustaedter on LinkedIn
- Chat with Reese Garcia in the “PPC and SEM Professionals” Facebook group
Want to learn more about how to go from entry-level to manager in no time? Read panelist Reese Garcia’s story on his successful transition into manager level at a paid search agency here.